Although parenting is likely the most challenging role we take on, it is a role that most of us accept without much prior experience or knowledge as to what we are getting ourselves into.
If you sometimes become overwhelmed, frazzled and challenged beyond what you feel capable of as a parent… YOU ARE NOT ALONE. One of the most rewarding aspects of Sheri’s work over the past 20 years has been the consulting work she has been able to engage in with parents, by supporting them with some of the minor, major, and often complicated situations parenting presents.
In consulting with parents, Sheri utilizes a short-term, solution-oriented approach, which differs from counseling or psychotherapy. When you meet with Sheri you will discuss your particular situation with her. She will allow time for you to share your feelings about this challenge, and with her support, Sheri will help you to develop a plan for moving forward in a way that feels both productive and manageable. Parents appreciate and greatly benefit from being able to discuss their concerns in a safe, non-judgmental atmosphere. Most parents find it helpful to have 1-3 sessions, although some may require more. Several topics Sheri specializes in supporting parents with include (but are not limited to):
All Aspects of tween/teen development –
- Puberty – what happened to my mild -mannered child?
- Social media – how to manage it
- Staying connected to my tween/teen
- Drugs/Alcohol – can I help my child avoid or at least minimize using them?
- Anxiety/Depression/School Phobia – I never saw this coming; how do I handle it?
- Sex – do they really start at this age?
- Setting limits and boundaries – how to effectively accomplish this
- Self-harm, suicidal thoughts and tendencies – where do I turn for help?
- Overeating, under-eating, using food to cope – what’s a parent to do? I don’t want to make it worse
- Aggressive behavior towards peers and/or family members – why is my child so angry?
Sheri has also had extensive experience with the developmental issues of younger children, as well as with children experiencing learning disabilities, ADHD, Autism, and other psycho-educational disorders.
In addition to being a school leader, educational psychologist, and counselor, Sheri has been a parent for over 27 years, which has served as a humbling experience, as well as one that has provided her the opportunity to blend her personal and professional experience in the consulting work she does with parents.
Whether you need one session or several to address your concern, Sheri is here to support you on this arduous, yet highly rewarding journey of parenting.